PHOTOGRAPHY is the process of creating an image. The photographer (student submitting entry) is a person who captures their own thoughts and ideas with a camera. By focusing on objects using various lenses, filters and light sources, photographers may demonstrate the use of photographic techniques conventionally or digitally.
Reflect on the 2022-2023 Theme: SHOW YOUR VOICE!
Accepted forms of photography include: A single photo, panoramic, photomontage (one print of multiple original photos), a multiple exposure, negative sandwich or photogram. Original black-and- white and color images are accepted.
Non-accepted forms of photography include: Entries with added graphics over the image, including lettering, are not accepted. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Original film (negatives or transparencies) and multidimensional pieces are not accepted.
Consider use of objects, lighting and the location to show a clear relation of the photo to the theme. An explanation of the photography process/form might be a useful addition to the artist statement. Whether an entry displays use of technologies or a simple approach, it will be judged primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme, originality and creativity.
Copyright: Use of copyrighted material, including copyrighted cartoon characters or other such material, is not acceptable in any photography submission, with the following exception:
- Photographs may include public places, well-known products, trademarks or certain other copyrighted material as long as that copyrighted material is incidental to the subject matter of the piece and/or is a smaller element of a whole. The resulting work cannot try to establish an association between the student and the trademark/business/material, or influence the purchase/non-purchase of the trademarked good.
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted.
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only.
- Print must be no smaller than 3×5 and no larger than 8X10 inches.
- Print must be mounted on sturdy material such as cardboard or poster board not to exceed 11×14 including matting.
- Framed photos are not accepted.
- Submit photo and student entry form according to your PTA’s instructions.
- Dimensions must be at least 640×960 (pixels) and 300 dpi (resolution).
- Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, and PNG.